Braised Beef with Mushrooms & Barley
Looking for a flavorful roast recipe? Try this favorite served with barley and mushrooms.
Share This Recipe
- 1 beef Shoulder Roast Boneless (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound medium cremini or button mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/4 cups ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef roast; remove. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic to stockpot; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned. Add broth and bay leaf. Return roast; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours. Stir in barley; continue cooking, covered, 45 to 60 minutes or until roast is fork-tender. Remove roast; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Add peas and sour cream to barley. Cook and stir over low heat just until heated through. Carve roast. Serve with barley.
|Serv Size||Calories||Total Fat||Cholesterol||Total Carbs||Protein|
* The % Daily Value tells you how much of a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice. 3g Saturated Fat; 4g Monounsaturated Fat; Carbohydrates; 3g Fiber; 6.6mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 2.4mcg Vitamin B12; 3.5mg Iron; 44.9mcg Selenium; Zinc; Choline;
Courtesy of BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com