Classic Beef Pot Roast
Now this is a crave-worthy dinner. Tender beef pot roast cooked low and slow with carrots and potatoes. This is as classic as it gets.
- 1 beef Cross Rib Chuck Roast or Arm Chuck Roast Boneless (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes (about 1-1/2-inch diameter), cut in half
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces - You may substitute baby carrots for peeled whole carrots<br/>
- 2 large onions, cut into 8 wedges each
Combine flour, salt and pepper; coat beef roast with 2 tablespoons flour mixture. Reserve remaining flour mixture. Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat until hot. Place roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings.
Combine broth, tomato paste and thyme in stock pot; whisk in reserved flour mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2 hours. Stir gravy. Add potatoes, carrots and onions to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour or until roast and vegetables are fork-tender.
Carve roast into slices or chunks; serve with vegetables and gravy.
|Serv Size||Calories||Total Fat||Cholesterol||Total Carbs||Protein|
* The % Daily Value tells you how much of a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice. 7g Saturated Fat; 7g Monounsaturated Fat; Carbohydrates; 3.8g Fiber; 5.6mg Niacin; 0.5mg Vitamin B6; 1.8mcg Vitamin B12; 3.9mg Iron; 26.8mcg Selenium; Zinc; 115.2mg Choline;
Courtesy of BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com