Provencal Beef Stew
A unique twist on classic stew, this dish features the flavors of herbs de Provence with potatoes, zucchini, squash and olives.
Share This Recipe
- 2 pounds beef Chuck Shoulder Roast Boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence - Herbes de Provence is a dried herb blend used in the cooking of southern France. Often sold in small clay crocks in supermarkets, it’s commonly a blend of basil, fennel seed, lavender, marjoram, rosemary, sage, summer savory and thyme.
- 1 pound new potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 small zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 small yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup niçoise olives, pitted and cut in half - Niçoise olives are from the Provence region of France. Small, oval and purplish-brown in color, they are packed in olive oil and have a nutty, mellow flavor. Greek Kalamata olives may be substituted for niçoise olives.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Combine flour, salt and pepper. Reserve 1 tablespoon flour mixture. Lightly coat beef with remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot.
- Add onion and garlic to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Stir in broth, tomatoes, herbes de Provence and reserved flour mixture. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Add potatoes, zucchini and yellow squash to stockpot; continue simmering, covered, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add olives and basil; cook, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes or until olives are heated through. Serve with cheese, if desired.
Recipe and photo as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
|Serv Size||Calories||Total Fat||Cholesterol||Total Carbs||Protein|
* The % Daily Value tells you how much of a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice. 3g Saturated Fat; 6g Monounsaturated Fat; Carbohydrates; 4.1g Fiber; 4.4mg Niacin; 0.6mg Vitamin B6; 2.5mcg Vitamin B12; 6mg Iron; 28.9mcg Selenium; Zinc; Choline;
Courtesy of BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com