Spicy Five-Pepper T-Bone Steaks
This recipe for lean T-Bone steaks includes a homemade Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce for big flavor!
- 2 beef T-Bone Steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 16 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely ground mixed peppercorns (black, white, green and pink) - Mixed peppercorns are sold in specialty food markets and some supermarkets. If a four-peppercorn mix is not available, a three-peppercorn mix may be substituted. Or make your own mix by combining equal amounts of whole black, white, green and pink peppercorns. <BR> <BR> To easily grind whole peppercorns, use a pepper mill or coffee grinder (used only for seasonings). They can also be crushed in a food-safe plastic bag. Place the peppercorns in the bag, squeeze out the air and seal. Use the bottom of a custard cup, rolling pin or side of a heavy pan to crush the peppercorns.
- 2 teaspoons kosher or table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Additional beef broth (optional)
- Combine Five-Pepper Seasoning ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Reserve 2 teaspoons for Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce. Set aside remaining mixture for seasoning beef steaks.
- To prepare Spicy Peppercorn Steak Sauce, heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until tender but not browned. Stir in ketchup, broth, raisins, vinegar, molasses, soy sauce and reserved 2 teaspoons Five-Pepper Seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently 10 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. (Sauce will thicken slightly.)
- Place sauce in blender or food processor container. Cover; pulse on and off for slightly chunky texture. (For a thinner sauce, additional broth may be added 1 tablespoon at a time; pulse on and off after each addition.) Return sauce to saucepan; keep warm until ready to serve.
- Press remaining Five-Pepper Seasoning evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 15 to 19 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
Remove bones; carve steaks crosswise into slices. Serve with sauce.
Recipe as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
|Serv Size||Calories||Total Fat||Cholesterol||Total Carbs||Protein|
* The % Daily Value tells you how much of a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice. 3g Saturated Fat; 5g Monounsaturated Fat; Carbohydrates; 3.1g Fiber; 5.1mg Niacin; 0.5mg Vitamin B6; 1.9mcg Vitamin B12; 4.5mg Iron; 9.8mcg Selenium; Zinc; Choline;
Courtesy of BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com